The Edward Bellamy House was built about 1840 in the Greek Revival style for Harmon Rowley, a town selectman and local merchant. It was likely designed by Elias Carter, as the details match other houses of his design. The two ells are much earlier, dating to the Federal Period (1800-1825). The barn that is now directly behind the house used to sit farther back on the property; originally, the lot extended all the way back to the street behind, and the barn, which had been the Bellamys, was moved to its current location when the neighbor who owned it wanted to tear it down.
Baptist minister Rufus King Bellamy moved into the house in 1853, along with his wife, Maria, and sons Charles, Edward, Frederick, and William. Edward spent most of his life there, eventually raising his own family in the home. The Bellamys were responsible for a few small changes, including the addition of a bay window in the back parlor and small extension on the southwest side of the house.
In 1905, the Hanifan family purchased the house from the Bellamys. One of the Hanifans, Daniel, was a photographer, and he added on to the southwest side to create a studio sometime in the early 1900s. Although the tall windows on the back of this addition might seem very modern, they are there by design; their size and orientation allowed plenty of natural light into the studio.
The Edward Bellamy Memorial Association purchased the house from the Lavallee family in 1975. For most of the time since then, the building was rented out to a series of tenants. Now, however, the tenants are gone, and in 2019 parts of the first floor opened for the first time as a museum dedicated to Edward Bellamy and local history. We invite you to visit during the warmer months and see what we have to offer!